Would you like your beloved companion, who has passed on, to be mummified? It's a straightforward process. Here is what you need to do to have your bird, cat, or small dog (or any small animal up to 30 pounds) mummified.
Contact us and let us know of your plans to have your beloved family friend mummified. Provide us with your contact information so that we can be in communication with you from the very beginning.
Prepare the Animal
- Obtain a watertight container such as a cooler large enough to hold your pet lying on a bed of ice.
- If the animal is dirty, please wash and clean him.
- Place your pet in a plastic bag.
- Fill the container with as much ice as possible but leave enough room so that you can place your pet on top of the ice. Do not use dry ice.
- Place a towel on top of the ice and lay your pet on top of the towel. Then cover your pet with another towel.
- Close the container securely.
As an alternative, until it comes time for transport, you may keep the animal in a refrigerator if possible and appropriate. We do not recommend freezing the animal as freezing breaks down tissue cells.
Spiritual Will, Arrangement Form, and Donation
A Spiritual Will, Mummification Arrangement Form, and Donation must be received by Summum before you send your pet to us.
- It will be necessary for you to draft a Spiritual Will for your pet. Click here for instructions on preparing a Spiritual Will.
- Fill out and sign the Pet Mummification/Transference Arrangement Form.
- Contact Summum to verify the cost. You may make your donation by credit card, money order, or cashiers check. Credit card donations are processed through PayPal using this form. Cashiers checks and money orders should be made out to Summum.
- Mail, email, or fax the Spiritual Will and Agreement to Summum.
- By mail: Send the documents by overnight mail. Our address is listed below.
- By email: We will provide you our email address when it becomes necessary.
- By fax: We will provide you our fax number when it becomes necessary.
- If donating by cashiers check or money order, send the check or money order to Summum by overnight mail.
Once we receive the documents and donation, we will review everything to make sure things are in order. Then we will have you transport your pet to us.
Note: These instructions are for domestic transportation. For international transportation, please contact us.
- Drill a small hole, approximately 1/8 of an inch in diameter in the top of the container holding the animal. This will allow for air pressure changes during air transport.
- If necessary, pour out any melted ice and add new ice.
- Close the container and secure it using strapping tape (see the diagram below).
- Type or print on the outside of a letter envelope our address and phone number along with your return address and phone number in the upper left corner.
- Using clear tape, affix the envelope securely to the top of the container so the addresses can be clearly seen.
- Contact a local air freight service or overnight delivery service and take the container to them. You may need to check around your area for the best service that will provide prompt delivery. Here are some links to overnight delivery services:
- Have the container shipped to Salt Lake City, Utah, with the next available flight (You are responsible for shipping costs both to and from Salt Lake City, Utah. Return shipping costs will vary depending on the weight of your pet once sealed within the Mummiform).
- If you use an air freight service, instruct them to hold the container at the Salt Lake airport and to call Summum immediately upon arrival.
- Call or email us to let us know your pet is on the way.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
707 Genesee Avenue
Salt Lake City, Utah 84104